lunes, 22 de abril de 2019

Task 4


EXERCISE IN CLASS

Position: "I think a doctor's own comfort level in talking about the reality of death and dying goes a long way with receptiveness in the patient." commented by Gwen M. 

As far as I am concerned, this is a clear point of view of what she thinks about the opinion column. 
Argument: "They do not have the right to fight on and use up limited resources.  I work in palliative care in an acute care setting.  I  see oncologists give chemo to patients who are actively dying.  Oncologist give false hope with statements like "we see results with ........".  Patients hear cure or remission.  You do not mention that oncology get up to 15% of cost of the medication and at$30,000 a month that is a good addition to fees. Cancer care in America is big business with huge profits for cancer centers (they cherry pick those with good insurance) and chemo/radiation that make the quality of life for their patients very poor.  They will treat and treat until one day an oncologist walks in and says "there is no more I can do you, get your affairs in order."  They walk out of the room and leave the patient in shock." commented by Michael White.

I consider this comment as an argument because Michael is supporting his idea with strong evidence and facts which makes an argument a real argument. 


Agreement: "If you ask them they will tell. So long as patients are given a choice to continue chemotherapy, or to go to the ICU they have every right to choose efforts to sustain life." commented by Stephen%20workman. 

This man is agreeing with the whole opinion column written by Doctor Chan. As doctor Chan has persisted during the whole document that he supports his patients on any decision they make even if those decisions are pretty radical, he always stands by his patients sides until the end of their days. 

Disagreement: "Cancer is an unpleasant way to die, my mother said if she knew the end would be so hard she wouldn't have stuck around so long." commented by Thormon.

As stated, this person totally fits in this category because he is giving an opposite view of patients fighting against cancer by using chemotherapies, He sets an example of his mom suffering a lot due to chemotherapies until the end of her life while doctor Chan expresses just support without paying much attention to how much pain the patients suffer. 



No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario

My Weekly Journals

Week 1 It is meaningful to remember that, since the first day of the two allowed weeks for observation, I started to ...